"To have [the law] revised, I accept, on the condition that nothing changes; or to keep it the same, I accept, but for minor changes here and there, namely in the essential points." — I.L. Caragiale
Intellectual property / freedom of speech
- Rumble Strip (12 April 2022)
Every year in the spring, small towns throughout New England host their annual town meeting. Town meetings take place in high school gyms or town halls, and anyone can come. In fact, in Vermont, Town Meeting Day is a public holiday. Everyone gets the day off work to make sure they have the chance to participate. It’s a moment when everyone who lives there can come together to talk out the issues facing the town and decide how they want to spend their money.
- Only Fools Replay Doomsday (21 January 2022)
William Astore says the rise of a new Cold War must revive the push for nuclear disarmament.
- Black Lives Matter protests have saved lives, study finds (26 May 2021)
- Los Angeles 1974: When America's culture war was won (30 March 2021)
- The US Empire Is Crumbling Before Our Eyes (21 January 2021)
With unprecedented economic inequality and massive overspending on military expansion, America now looks a lot like 476 CE Rome.
- Bi Den (7 November 2020)
- America’s Next Authoritarian Will Be Much More Competent (6 November 2020)
- I Lived Through Collapse. America Is Already There (26 September 2020):
Living in Sri Lanka during the end of the civil war, I saw how life goes on, surrounded by death
- A New American Manifesto (24 September 2020): a translation of America's original Declaration of Independence into modern English.
- We Don’t Know How to Warn You Any Harder: America is Dying (30 August 2020) We Survivors of Authoritarianism Have a Message America Needs to Hear: This is Exactly How it Happens, and It’s Happening Here.
- The Unfathomable Stupidity of Rich White Men (24 June 2020)
- ‘Under water or under a knee, we can’t breathe’ (11 June 2020)