Sci-fi / Science Fiction
Updates for 2015-01-23:
You know what inspiration and love have in common? Neither has the courtesy to knock. Exactly a month after my previous story, just as I struggle to continue writing my first novel, I was given an idea on IRC that just wouldn't let go. Dragon's Wish is the result -- my first high fantasy story, as it happens. I'm really happy with how it came out, especially while having something else on my mind as well. Should really be writing more flash fiction, it doesn't interfere with other work and can yield great results, in addition to being good practice.
- a vignette based on an older, abandoned story. Near-future (almost) science fiction.
- Gray World
- cyberpunk story expanding on the aforementioned vignette.
- Low Bandwidth
- second story in the Gray World series.
- takes place about ten years after the first two stories.
- Sufficiently Advanced Technology
- A story that bridges my cyberpunk and science-fantasy settings.
- Parole Planet
- A rather different perspective on the same transitional setting.
- Bazaar in the stars
- A short story I wrote on a whim and had unexpected success with. Transhuman science-fantasy.
- Arrow in the Sky
- Prequel to Bazaar in the Stars; based on a friend's characters and outline.
- Second Contact
- Short surreal piece based in the same setting.
- Distant Encounters
- Much longer sequel to Second Contact.
- A stand-alone story in the same setting, a reinterpretation of the Borg from Star Trek.
- Dead of Night
- A horror vignette I came up with in a nightmare, and wrote down breathlessly before breakfast.
- Afterlife by Night
- A long in the making urban fantasy novella, or "paranormal bromance" as I like to call it.
- Little Magic
- A novelette that straddles the line between straight fantasy and planetary romance.
- Dragon's Wish
- Flash fiction of the high fantasy persuasion, based on Shanri's original premise.
Old and/or abandoned
- The Pack
- A friend's post-apocalyptic story loosely based on an idea of mine.
- A discussion of science fiction cliches
- Just what it says on the tin; focus is on space opera.
- Conversion tables and calculators
- Useful conversions for sci-fi fans and (especially) writers.
- Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom
- My first meeting with post-singularity fiction.
- Terms of Service reviewed
- A Creative Commons fantasy novel.
- Olaf Stapledon And The Future That Was and Last and First Men revisited
- A two-part review of the titular book.
- Late to the party: Interview with the Vampire
- Yes, I finally got around to reading this particular classic.
- What Nobody Ever Says About Avatar
- Self-explanatory; not quite a review.
- The I, Robot movie: bad, yet interesting
- Just what it says on the tin.
- So, I went to see Inception...
- A few thoughts on the titular movie.
- Brave Story, a paradoxical anime
- And yet again I comment on a movie with ups and downs.
- Back in the 1990es
- Youth science fiction in Bucharest
- History of a Star Trek Club
- There were at least two in Bucharest in the 1990es; this is about the one I was in.