Updates for 2016-02-19:
For me, this is the first big milestone on a long road that started in childhood. Vryheid isn't just my first novel, but also the culmination of many stories I wrote to explore the concept of freedom and its many complexities. It's hardly epic, and probably flawed, but if you want a story set in an exotic city, lavishly described, and to think about society while enjoying an adventure, give it a try. Thank you.
- It's an ordinary day at the beach until a stranger shows up... and nothing will ever be the same again.
- a vignette based on an older, abandoned story. Near-future (almost) science fiction.
- Gray World
- cyberpunk story expanding on the aforementioned vignette.
- Low Bandwidth
- second story in the Gray World series.
- Cyberpunk epistolary novelette about a rich teenager in hiding on the edges of a near-future society that's falling apart, who learns a different way of life and that things aren't black and white; takes place about ten years after the first two stories.
- Sufficiently Advanced Technology
- A story that bridges my cyberpunk and science-fantasy settings.
- Parole Planet
- Science fiction novelette about a young man stranded on a distant planet, among strangers with odd customs... that will slowly change him; a rather different perspective on the same transitional setting.
- Bazaar in the stars
- A short story I wrote on a whim and had unexpected success with. Transhuman science-fantasy.
- Arrow in the Sky
- Prequel to Bazaar in the Stars; based on a friend's characters and outline.
- Second Contact
- Short surreal piece based in the same setting; a story of massive culture shock.
- Distant Encounters
- On a lost colony recently rediscovered, some people will kill to maintain their power now that the starships are returning. (Much longer sequel to Second Contact.)
- Stand-alone, space opera novelette in the same setting, a reinterpretation of the Borg from Star Trek.
- A story about freedom, power and what it means to be the boss, set in an exotic far-future city where transhumanism takes strange forms and outsiders find their values challenged.
- Dead of Night
- A horror vignette I came up with in a nightmare, and wrote down breathlessly before breakfast.
- Afterlife by Night
- A long in the making urban fantasy novella, or "paranormal bromance" as I like to call it.
- Little Magic
- Shipwrecked on a distant shore, with no hope of returning home, Jinx only possesses one thing of value: a unique magical ability. But soon that will make all the difference in the world; a planetary romance novelette.
- Dragon's Wish
- Flash fiction of the low fantasy persuasion, based on Shanri's original premise.
- The Wolf With the Red Cap
- a Rule 63 fairy tale based on Kantuck's original premise.
- The Watch
- short, surreal story with a dash of magic realism, based on a recent dream.
Old and/or abandoned
- The Pack
- A friend's post-apocalyptic story loosely based on an idea of mine.
- A discussion of science fiction cliches
- Just what it says on the tin; focus is on space opera.
- Conversion tables and calculators
- Useful conversions for sci-fi fans and (especially) writers.
- Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom
- My first meeting with post-singularity fiction.
- Terms of Service reviewed
- A Creative Commons fantasy novel.
- Olaf Stapledon And The Future That Was and Last and First Men revisited
- A two-part review of the titular book.
- Late to the party: Interview with the Vampire
- Yes, I finally got around to reading this particular classic.
- What Nobody Ever Says About Avatar
- Self-explanatory; not quite a review.
- The I, Robot movie: bad, yet interesting
- Just what it says on the tin.
- So, I went to see Inception...
- A few thoughts on the titular movie.
- Brave Story, a paradoxical anime
- And yet again I comment on a movie with ups and downs.
- Back in the 1990es
- Youth science fiction in Bucharest
- History of a Star Trek Club
- There were at least two in Bucharest in the 1990es; this is about the one I was in.
Sci-fi by friends
- The Universe, by Mark Burger
- A pastiche of 1950s B-series science fiction movies with an intriguing premise.