Sci-fi / Science Fiction
Updates for 2014-09-20:
At last, after nearly a month, I have a new story out. It "only" took me three weeks to write, at one page per day, but I waited for another week to get some feedback. Turns out, it was fine. Experiment "writing on the tablet" is a success! (Also, experiment "method writing", because it's an epistolary story.) On the minus side, I'm a bit worried that too many of my stories are about people cast in unfamiliar places, among strange people, and having to survive.That's hardly unique: basically everything Asimov ever wrote was a detective story. But still. Perhaps my next one should be about an invasion instead.
- a vignette based on an older, abandoned story. Near-future (almost) science fiction.
- Gray World
- cyberpunk story expanding on the aforementioned vignette.
- Low Bandwidth
- second story in the Gray World series.
- takes place about ten years after the first two stories.
- Sufficiently Advanced Technology
- A story that bridges my cyberpunk and science-fantasy settings.
- Parole Planet
- A rather different perspective on the same transitional setting.
- Bazaar in the stars
- A short story I wrote on a whim and had unexpected success with. Transhuman science-fantasy.
- Arrow in the Sky
- Prequel to Bazaar in the Stars; based on a friend's characters and outline.
- Second Contact
- Short surreal piece based in the same setting.
- Distant Encounters
- Much longer sequel to Second Contact.
- Dead of Night
- A horror vignette I came up with in a nightmare, and wrote down breathlessly before breakfast.
- Afterlife by Night
- A long in the making urban fantasy novella, or "paranormal bromance" as I like to call it.
- Little Magic
- A novelette that straddles the line between straight fantasy and planetary romance.
Old and/or abandoned
- The Pack
- A friend's post-apocalyptic story loosely based on an idea of mine.
- A discussion of science fiction cliches
- Just what it says on the tin; focus is on space opera.
- Conversion tables and calculators
- Useful conversions for sci-fi fans and (especially) writers.
- Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom
- My first meeting with post-singularity fiction.
- Terms of Service reviewed
- A Creative Commons fantasy novel.
- Olaf Stapledon And The Future That Was and Last and First Men revisited
- A two-part review of the titular book.
- Late to the party: Interview with the Vampire
- Yes, I finally got around to reading this particular classic.
- What Nobody Ever Says About Avatar
- Self-explanatory; not quite a review.
- The I, Robot movie: bad, yet interesting
- Just what it says on the tin.
- So, I went to see Inception...
- A few thoughts on the titular movie.
- Brave Story, a paradoxical anime
- And yet again I comment on a movie with ups and downs.
- Back in the 1990es
- Youth science fiction in Bucharest
- History of a Star Trek Club
- There were at least two in Bucharest in the 1990es; this is about the one I was in.