Main / Technical Aspects
Not only do wikis embody Tim Berners-Lee's vision of a read-write web, they also represent an ad-hoc form of semantic Web. As my friend Alex Bolboacă helped me realize, the average wiki naturally and implicitly supports a number of semantic relationships among articles:
- is_related_to - via ordinary links;
- is_child_of / is_parent_of - via categories;
- is_synonym_of - via redirects.
It's worth pointing out that the actual semantic web was largely a failure, for reasons pointed out years ago by very smart people.
Semantic Web criticism
- The Semantic Web, Syllogism, and Worldview
- Ontology is Overrated: Categories, Links, and Tags (tagline: "There is no shelf")
- Metacrap: Putting the torch to seven straw-men of the meta-utopia