See also: Fascinating Places on the Web, a huge list of links to sites (mostly) about sci-fi.
This is good writing advice: Most writing advice is free, but the value varies (15 August 2019).
Also this: Dear Olivia Rodrigo: Ignore the internet. “Originality” is overrated (1 July 2021); I disagree with the explanation however: people expect "original" works because they've been conditioned to by old farts perpetuating Romantic notions.
And a piece of roleplaying advice that goes for writing too: please make your TTRPG characters Mary Sues (10 August 2021).
I wrote some of my own over the years, too.
- To Boldly Stigmatise Where Everyone Has Stigmatised Before (7 February 2021)
- The Unbearable Weight of Fantasy, Tolkien, and Race (or, Eh, Black Elves Are Fine) (16 February 2022) Reminds me of the time when I would tie myself into knots to justify Tuvok's presence on Star Trek: Voyager. And he didn't need any justification: black
elves simply exist, and the world is better for it. But it takes some of us a journey of discovery.
- ‘Woman In Motion’ Review: A Wonderful Tribute To Nichelle Nichols’ Impact On NASA And The Space Shuttle Program (1 February 2021)
- George R.R. Martin Can F**k Off Into the Sun, or: The 2020 Hugo Awards Ceremony (RageBlog Edition) (1 August 2020)
- The Assassination of Professor X: The Destruction of Marvel’s Most Famous Disabled Character (7 April 2020)
- Do Fantasy Writers Think Irish is Discount Elvish? (24 August 2019)
- American Gods' Devery Jacobs Is a Queer Indigenous TV Star (18 June 2019)
- We have always been here, part 3 (23 May 2019)
- The Golden Age Was More Diverse Than You Think (12 May 2019)
- Filling up the gaps, or, why An Archive Of Our Own deserves that Hugo nomination (9 April 2019)
- Miles Vorkosigan and “Excellent Life Choices”: (Neuro)Divergence and Decision-Making in Bujold’s Vorkosigan Saga (2 October 2018)
- Why Are Spaces in Science Fiction Not Wheelchair-Accessible? (31 July 2018)
- Sergeant Bothari And Disability Representation In The Early Vorkosiverse (16 July 2018)
- Black Panther’s Right Thing (17 February 2018)
- African Science Fiction and Literature (7 August 2016)
- Ursula K. Le Guin talks to Michael Cunningham about genres, gender, and broadening fiction (1 April 2016)
- Homosexualité, immigration : Harry Potter rend les enfants plus tolérants (31 July 2014)
- Patrick Stewart Has An Awesome Response To Being 'Outed' As Gay By The Guardian (19 February 2014)
Books and publishing
- How Sailor Moon Revolutionized the Magical Girl Genre (12 July 2022)
- 35 years of 'RoboCop': An unforgettable vision of techno-fascist America (17 July 2022)
- 'Blade Runner' at 40: Why the Ridley Scott Masterpiece is Still the Greatest Sci-Fi of All-Time (25 June 2022) — via Slashdot
- Ray Liotta, ‘Goodfellas’ and ‘Field of Dreams’ star, dies (27 May 2022) Posted here because I knew him from No Escape (1994), where he co-starred with Lance Henriksen.
- ‘Fantastic Beasts’: How Scandal and Controversy Have Derailed the Wizarding Franchise (12 April 2022)
- The Lord of the Rings: The Story Behind An Extraordinary Adventure (5 January 2022)
- Richard Donner Dies: ‘Superman’, ‘Lethal Weapon’ And ‘The Goonies’ Director Was 91 (5 July 2021)
- RIP Yaphet Kotto: ‘Alien’ Star Dies At Age 81 (16 March 2021)
- Mira Furlan, ‘Babylon 5’ and ‘Lost’ Actress, Dies at 65 (21 January 2021)
- Blade Runner: Special Photographic Effects (4 November 2020)
- The Matrix Was Intended to Be a Trans Story, Says Lilly Wachowski (4 August 2020)
- Peter Jackson Recounts Working With Ian Holm on Final Film Performance (21 June 2020)
- Ian Holm, Shakespearean Actor Who Played Bilbo Baggins, Dies at 88 (19 June 2020)
- Doctor Who: The Unravelling Text (19 March 2020)
- Rutger Hauer Dead: ‘Blade Runner’ Co-Star Was 75 (24 July 2019)
- The First Film Version of Frankenstein, Newly Restored! (November 2018)